May 6, 2009

When next we meet...

Our Doula came to the house last night for our final prenatal visit. Initially, when we were planning a hospital birth, we contracted Lori for independent labor support and advocacy in the hospital setting. Now that we're planning a home birth, her role will also include assisting our midwife as needed--primarily during the actual birth and postpartum.

I must say that Andy has been amazing throughout the entire pregnancy--not that I expected anything less! He was a great partner during our 12 week Bradley course and has remained actively involved and engaged in the experience. While Andy will serve as my primary support, Lori has assisted hundreds of women in labor and knows so much about facilitating natural birth--she has many tricks in her bag!

Many people have asked us, "Well if Andy is your primary support, why have a doula!?"

At this point, labor and birth are relative unknowns for both of us. Andy has said more than once that he would feel a lot of pressure if I were planning to rely solely on him for labor support. Knowing that he can pull from Lori's experience makes him more confident in his ability to support me in ways that will be most helpful. For me, I anticipate that giving birth will be a lot of physical and emotional work. The choice to surround myself with women who trust the process of natural birth, and who believe in my body's ability to birth my baby, is fundamental.

I think we’ve assembled a phenomenal birth team, and I feel nothing but positive anticipation for the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails