January 17, 2010

The sun will come out

Before my baby arrived, I imagined that motherhood would shine brightly on me as I toted my little darling to the farmer's market to pick fresh produce for lazy dinners, or strolled through Georgetown pushing the pram with pit stops at Anthropologie to gather replacement candles, and Dean & Deluca for more vanilla and rugelach. In short, Roscoe and I would be inseparable yet glamorous as we carried on pre-baby business in sweet mother-child fashion.

I held strongly to this image for many months after he was born despite the fact that each failed attempt to complete even the most unglamorous errand suggested that my fantasies would remain just fantasies as Andy and I had created a baby not built for such things. Then I conceded, accepting my fate as a new mom caught in her own trap, and resigned myself to days spent nursing in bed, or padding around in pjs, hair unwashed.

So it is with a sunshine lit face that I tell you that Roscoe and I shared yesterday morning, for the first time, one of those blissful momma-baby adventures that I had originally dreamt of.

Roscoe woke from his second nap at 7:00 am. He babbled and sang, while I threw on some winter accouterments. Bundled up, we left Poppa still in bed and drove 30 minutes to Whole Foods--a place that I love and one in which I haven't set foot in over 8 months! Surrounded by a new cart cover, Roscoe sat perched "like a cherub in a cloud" as one passerby commented, gnawing intently on the strap while I debated organic beef or buffalo for another batch of baby food. He flashed smiles and cooed at every stranger who looked his way, and together we picked out our weekly bounty. We perused the aisles conversing about jars of golden honey, whole fish on ice, and warm blueberry muffins. Mid-shop we took a break to savor an early morning breakfast from the hot bar, and dined together blending into a crowd of chipper patrons.

It was immensely satisfying to share time and space with my son, out together, exploring our suburban world. It didn't hurt that I was showered and dressed all before 8:00 am, either. Perhaps we have rounded yet another corner as we inch closer and closer to synchronicity. Either way, I'll take any and all of these moments in between.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I think we can all relate to those "fantasies" and every once in a while it all seems to come together!
    Whole Foods makes me feel "whole" too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so great....I am still waiting for my morning like that but I am so happy for you that you had such an enjoyable morning!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails