May 26, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture

I eat a lot of fruit every day, and a few vegetables too. But I'd love to eat more vegetables, and I'd love to love vegetables more! Since I can't have a garden, I decided to join a CSA for the Summer. Here's a list of all the yummy fruits and veggies we'll have delivered in the coming months.

I'm looking forward to trying out some new and different produce, not to mention learning to cook them! I've had this cookbook sitting on my shelf for years, and I think it's finally going to get broken in.

Tuesday we picked up our first share. Inside my bag I found:


Scallions, cilantro, green head lettuce, chinese cabbage, bok choy


red leaf lettuce, tatsoi, snow peas


Greens, greens, and more greens! I've never cooked bok choy or even heard of tatsoi!

How will I use these veggies?
Red and green leaf lettuce will be used for salads.

My favorite salad dressing:
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 or 2 cloves of garlic minced or pressed
Whisk it together, add salt and pepper to taste

I think I'll try brown butter pasta with tatsoi. A scallion quiche would be tasty, and perhaps a homemade salsa or guacamole with cilantro. Snow peas with garlic butter sounds nice, and I'm still not sure about the bok choy. I've heard it makes a nice accompaniment to fish. As for the chinese cabbage, how about a stir-fry?

Do you have any great recipes to share?! Have you ever belonged to a CSA?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails