September 21, 2010

Home Birth: a blog series

I know that home birth isn't for every family, and that not every Momma is a candidate to safely give birth at home. However, my experience giving birth to Roscoe was life changing and as we begin to plan for a second home birth I would like to take the opportunity to share why we chose home birth over birthing centers and top rated hospitals, how prenatal care works with an independent midwife (home visits!!) and how it might be different from more traditional care, how we prepared ourselves and our house for birth, and the realities of giving birth at home.

I would also like to discuss some common concerns expressed about home birth (we had them too!), and how those concerns are addressed in real life. I may even ask a few of my friends to guest post their personal experiences with home birth, which were very different from mine.

If you have any questions you'd like me to address, send them my way! I'll be posting Part 1: Our Journey to the Other Side in the next few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to your series. Here in England because it is National Health Service everyone has the right to a homebirth without paying any extra money. I was hoping to have a home birth but was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 37 weeks that required me to be induced. I am hoping with luck that the second one will be a home birth if all is healthy. I had midwife care through the whole pregnancy and even at the birth although I was listed under doctors care. My midwife for prenatal care was amamzing and the two midwifes who delivered Madame were perfect and the exact personalities I needed to help me get the delivery I wanted even though I was in hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that must have been disappointing to learn at 37 weeks. I'm so so glad you had a good birth experience. Having health providers you trust goes a long way, doesn't it!?

    I love that home birth enjoys a different norm in other countries. With Roscoe we had to pay out of pocket even though we had great insurance--home birth wasn't covered. This time, with different insurance, a portion of the cost will be covered. So that's nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obviously very interested to read this series. I am utterly and completely in love with homebirthing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails