August 7, 2009

Introducing Bebé Glotón

The latest controversy in the world of toys: a "breastfeeding" doll!


And here's the demonstration video:



The public's reaction has been mixed. Predictably, some feel that it sexualizes young girls, while others see it as a harmless mimicry doll joining the ranks of Tiny Tears, Baby Alive, and Betsy Wetsy. Then there are those that think it's just plain weird! It is the daisy halter (not the doll) that raises my eyebrow.

Here's one reasonable perspective.
What do you think?

P.S. Bebé Glotón translates to "baby glutten" and according to Urban Dictionary "glutten" is defined as "overeats, pigs out, obnoxious"!

3 comments:

  1. Wowww.... I'm not sure what to think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the halter being a bit odd, but I will say that I've seen many little girls try to emulate their mothers while they are breastfeeding younger siblings. Minus the gawdy accessories, I don't see how a young girl imitating a completely natural, maternal, nurturing activity is a problem. I would think that most of us who have done this will agree that breastfeeding, while a beautiful experience, is about as far from sexual as it gets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! Even little boys mimic their breastfeeding mothers, because that's how they know to feed a baby.

    I recently read that at 3 months, only 1/3 of mothers are still breastfeeding AT ALL, while only 14% are breastfeeding exclusively (CDC). I was just having this conversation with a friend, and it's no wonder people get weird about it, BF is really not that prevalent in our country, and certainly not something the public is exposed to on a regular basis. Boobs on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails