November 27, 2010

Sweet Redemption

Hot cocoa with marshmallows is a quiet pleasure these days. With so many artisan options I've long ago given up on the classic Jet Puffed. When the Fall chill arrives I crave the gooey goodness of a melted marshmallow and this year, instead of searching high and low for a fix, I decided it was time to learn to make them myself. Years ago (before a stand mixer graced my counter top) I attempted a recipe that produced a slimy, wet, and weak little batch of marshmallows too icky to enjoy.

I'm happy to share that with my latest attempt at these heavenly confections (I made cinnamon vanilla), my confidence has been rebuilt and I will be making homemade marshmallows from now until forever.

oh yum

spread it out

liberally sprinkle with powdered sugar and let sit for 8 hours

TAH DAH! Share, and enjoy!




Need something to eat those marshmallows with? Here is the recipe to my favorite hot cocoa--it's really more like drinking chocolate, so you don't need a lot, and topped with either sweet whipped cream or a marshmallow it's perfect any time (or all the time).

5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 oz. milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup boiling water
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

In a medium bowl, combine the bittersweet chocolate with the milk chocolate. Add the boiling water and let it stand for 1 minute. Whisk the chocolate mixture until it is smooth.

In a small saucepan, bring the milk and heavy cream just to a simmer. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk over moderate heat until hot. Pour into small mugs and garnish as you like!

Recipe adapted from Food & Wine

6 comments:

  1. Oh! So that's what I missed out on! lol Those look soo HUGE! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my delicious!! I never even thought to make marshmallows...but vanilla cinnamon?!?! Yummmmmy! I can't tell if Roscoe like them though ;) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely Delicious! Glad we stopped by and got to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so yummy! I might have to whip up a batch and stick them into my chai!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That looks divine! Can you share the recipe for the marshmallows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, I will! It might take me a day or two though :) They are really great, you will love them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails