August 4, 2010

CSA Week 11

In this week's CSA bag I found:

Salad tomatoes, eggplant, heirloom tomatoes, corn, cucumber,
lime-basil, scallions, cherry tomatoes

That's a lot of tomatoes, folks!!! I haven't yet attempted Gazpacho, but it looks like this week is my week!

I'm one quarter Filipino and I grew up eating a lot of rice alongside a few staple dishes. I recently decided that I wanted to learn to cook at least a handful more in order to add them to my arsenal of go-to favorites. I hope to offer at least a sprinkling of culinary culture to our kids' palettes!

Ginaatang Mais was my first recipe. It's a chilled coconut rice soup with fresh corn added. Our nanny who is also Filipino pointed out that the soup is meant to be eaten after waking from an afternoon nap. I loved the idea and so Roscoe and I shared a bowl of the sweet and creamy rice after a glorious 2 hour siesta. We sat together on the front porch in the middle of an intensely hot day and practically licked the bowl clean. The experience was both refreshing and fun! I hope we get to do it again soon.

Another highlight from last week: the buttermilk corn muffins. It's a really quick and versatile recipe--we had so many blueberries leftover from a blueberry pancake breakfast earlier in the week that I modified the ingredients and whipped up a second batch. The perfect summer treat!

How I used last week's produce:
Eggplant: eggplant fries
Peppers and cucumbers: mahi mahi with peach, cucumber and habanero salsa
Heirloom Tomatoes and Basil: basil-garlic mayonnaise BLT
Watermelon: eaten as is, I haven't had a seeded melon in a very long time--I forgot how much work it is to pick out those seeds!
Cherry Tomatoes: mozzarella and tomato salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails