June 7, 2011

Down by the River

After Friday's marathon biopsy visit, I was feeling what was surely a state of stress induced exhaustion. I wanted to eat a pint of ice cream and then melt into my bed but we had been looking forward to a weekend getaway at my in-law's river house a couple of hours away, so the kids and I went home to nap, and then pack, while Andy headed into the office for a super-abbreviated work day.

With all of our stuff, including the dog, crowded snugly into the car (we teeter on the brink of needing a minivan) we left around Roscoe's bedtime and stopped at Starbucks on the way to the interstate in order to commence 48 hours of do-nothingness.

The river house was built from scratch by Andy's parents, and is situated right on the bank of Lodge Creek off of the Yeocomico river with a dock that leads straight off the back yard and down into the water. While it sees some use throughout the year, it is left largely uninhabited. We were more than happy to take the opportunity to fill its rustic walls with thunderous toddler footsteps, and the sweet smells of home cooking.


We didn't leave the property all weekend. In fact, I never left my pajamas. Roscoe followed Andy like his shadow and by the end of each day both were covered in nature's dirt from head to toe. They spent most of their time on projects in and around the yard. Roscoe even had his first tick, which was a little alarming at first realization, but it turned out to be fine. Merritt and I caught up on our sleep, nursed, cooked three squares a day but, mostly, he and I just sat around like toads on lily pads reading magazines or watching big brother and poppa in their element. I felt a little unproductive for the duration, but when I climbed into my bed Sunday night and found that my usually racing mind was oddly quiet, I knew the weekend away had been just what I needed.


Of course I can't write a post without mentioning what we ate! It was a welcomed challenge to use up all of the food that we brought, no less, no more. We indulged a little (okay, a lot) in roasted beets, pancakes with maple syrup and farmer's market sausage, strawberry and peach shortcake, chili and cornbread, banana milkshakes, and ice cream cones with sprinkles, among other things. It seemed like a good time to give in to our cravings and to eat what we were hungry for. Comfort food and quality togetherness.

Roscoe picking stems off the tomatoes before dinner

We did manage one leisurely walk after dinner and before we headed home, so maybe that helped to balance out all the meals we enjoyed. I will say that it's a little humbling to be out in the world, basked in the air from the dusky heat of sunset, with the most important people in your life.

Do you have a go to spot when you need a little r&r?

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful getaway, and a truly deserved one at that.

    I don't have a spot to go to for R&R, I think I'll work on that. For small breaks last summer I'd put my suit on and walk out into the lake until I couldn't and just rock with the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looooove do-nothingness! And that sounded like the most perfect weekend. What a beautiful place to go to.
    When we need some r&r we head up to my parents house in Maine. It's on a lake so not only do we get to lounge and go boating, my Momma does all the cooking and toddler care!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails