September 16, 2009

Recipe #1: Blueberry muffins


I found a few minutes on Sunday night while Andy and Roscoe caught up with Jon out front, and decided to whip up my first Peterson recipe.

The recipe is simple and uncomplicated, requiring only one bowl and no flour sifting. It would make a great base for any combination of fruit and/or nuts. Coating the berries in flour before combining them with the batter was something I hadn't tried before, but it served its purpose well and prevented them from sinking to the bottom of the pan while baking. The batter was sweet and buttery, in fact I licked the bowl clean!

After 25 minutes at 375, emerged 12 perfect dome topped muffins that fell straight from the pan after cooling. They looked amazing with their shiny yellow tops and marbled blueberry cracks. On Peterson's suggestion I dusted each one with confectioner's sugar.

These are what I imagine when I think of a classic blueberry muffin. The tangy berries combined well with the cakey bread of the muffin. I liked their shape (they rose really nicely), and the fact that they were moist on the inside, but not sticky or wet on the outside.

Add a pat of unsalted butter, and they are divine! Next time I make these I would love to substitute strawberries or peaches for the blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails