July 15, 2015

Small Comforts and Little Luxuries: Summer Edition



It's full blown July here in Virginia and I'm sharing a few of my current favorite things with you in this Summer edition of Small Comforts and Little Luxuries.

These posts are about the little things that don't cost a lot (though they may feel like a splurge!) but add value because they are delightful. As you seek out facets of life to enhance your own comfort, pleasure, and joy, just think of purchases like these as part of your self-care. :)

Alima Pure Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadow in Leone: $12.50

I'm in love with Alima Pure's mineral makeup line. Their luminous shimmer eyeshadow in Leone is eye brightening, and makes a perfect easy one-layer application for an almost naked summer eye. It's great for days when you want to look polished but not made up, and it double times it for date night when used as a highlighter.

Alima Pure Satin Matte Blush in Apricot: $20.00

A subtle matte orange that layers well and gives just the right warmth for cheerful summer cheeks.

Omni Focus for Mac, a Personal Task Management Platform:
$40 each, OS X/iOS 

After more than 15 years of paper agendas, I finally went digital! Since quitting formal work I have not had the same need or responsibility to be organized, but man does it feel nice to be on top of all my personal projects and commitments again.

First I transferred all my dates and scribbles from my old planner into google calendar. That alone was a huge improvement.

I dowloaded a 14-day trial of OmniFocus, which seamlessly merges your calendar and your to-do lists in a novel interface that makes the very effort to be organized both pleasant and easy.  It took me a few days to optimize use but I was convinced before the trial ended to buy an app for both my phone and laptop.

OmniFocus is the best of both worlds, merging the freedom and satisfaction that paper always offered with the electronic advantage of efficiency. No more notes scribbled on scraps of paper and stuffed in my purse, swallowed by the mess on my desk, forgotten in notes on my phone, or shuffled into a pile on the kitchen island. No more reliance on a huge hardcover agenda to lug around or forget at home. Everything important is in one place, easily accessible and synced to my phone and computer.

I feel more productive than I have in years, which may also have something to do with the fact that the boys are growing up, but either way, if you're looking for an organizational system that *could* change the way you feel in your life, you may want to check this out.



Cleopatra by Tocca:  $18.50 for miniTocca 0.5 fl oz




Inspired by the Mediterranean seductress, Cleopatra, this is my current favorite perfume for Summer. It stays in the heat, and a little dab goes a long way.

Top Notes: Bitter Grapefruit, Lush Greens, Cassis Bud
Middle Notes: White Jasmine, Peach Nectar, Tuberose
Bottom Notes: Warm Patchouli, Golden Amber, Rich Vanilla Musk

Mesh is IN! Crux Capri: $89.00



These are my go-to pants for lifting workouts. Sexy and fun, I get a lot of compliments, and the mesh is both functional and cooling.

I also have these Training Tough Crops from Lululemon, which are equally airy and better for outdoor running and sweaty SealTeamPT workouts. (If you're local, let me know if you want to come out with me and try a workout this Summer!)

Primal Pit Paste Natural Deodorant: $10.95


One of my goals this year was to reduce our use of plastics in the kitchen, and chemicals in my makeup and body care products. Throwing out the kidware and bringing in some stainless steel and aluminum options made for an easy transition and fortunately, brands like Alima Pure and Primal Pit Paste have bridged the gap in an area that I thought was going to be really tough to find alternatives I could be happy with.

I work out most days of the week doing a variety of activities from weight lifting, to walking the river, running outside with sealteampt and around town with the kids. As a former "clinical strength" deodorant girl, I am here to report that this brand (with baking soda and arrowroot powder) is very effective and works as well as any other I've tried, for the first 24 hours. After that, not so much but good enough! I've stuck with the unscented version so far, but the new coconut lime sounds like a beachy-fresh scent for swimsuit days.




Summer Strawberry Wallpapers for Phones and Desktops: 

I'm a lover of strawberry anything (and everything) and over the winter I got a strawberry tattoo that wraps my forearm so I could sport them year 'round. Now that it's mid-July, and in the mood for a girly wallpaper for my phone and desktop, I found a few options that bring a little summer sweetness to my usual online chores.

The stay sweet design is on my phone now, and Design Love Fest's little berries remind me of a pattern from some fabric on the baby blanket my mom sewed for me in the 80's, which makes me happy.

Clockwise from top right: The Wonder Forest, Design Love Fest, Designs by Miss Mandee


I want to hear from you! What small comforts and little luxuries are keeping you cool and feeling good this Summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails